NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in an Introduction to Early Years Education and Care (QCF)
The aim of this qualification is to prepare learners to work with children between birth and five years, with knowledge of children up to seven years. This qualification is suitable for a range of learners from the age of 16 onwards who have little or no experience in childcare. Learners must complete 250 placement hours. This qualification will take one year to complete.
Qualification structure and assessment
The following are mandatory units – group A:
- Support physical care routines for children
- An introduction to the role of the early years practitioner
- Understand how to work in partnership
- Understand legislation relating to the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children
- Use legislation relating to the health and safety of children
- Use legislation relating to equality, diversity and inclusive practice
- Understand how to plan to meet the needs of the developing child
- Supporting children’s play
- Support children’s play in early years
- Support the needs of the child in preparing for school
- Supporting children’s development
- Use observation, assessment and planning
- Support children’s positive behaviour
- Engage in professional development.
The qualification also includes four optional units – group B:
- Healthy lifestyles for children through the provision of food and nutrition
- Healthy lifestyles for children through exercise
- Supporting children with additional needs
- Supporting creative play.
Completion of this qualification is achieved through a combination of classroom-based learning and experience in the workplace.
All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods. This could include direct observation within the workplace, a portfolio of evidence, written assignments and professional discussion. Some learning outcomes within this qualification will require assessment in a real work environment.
Learners could also progress on to the NCFE CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce and other Level 3 qualifications relating to child care. Upon achievement of this qualification, learners can progress into various job roles in the statutory, voluntary or private sectors, such as:
- Nursery assistant
- Classroom assistant
- Pre-school assistant